We all love our pancakes, and I prefer mine savoury. Not just savoury, but served with crispy bacon and butter. Sometimes, when I am in no rush and fancy a big breakfast, I even cook eggs and sausages. You could say, this is my version of an English breakfast.
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg, lightly whisked
Serve with crispy, streaky bacon and butter (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk in the lemon juice, whole milk and egg
- Leave the combined batter in the fridge for 20 minutes
- In the meantime, you can heat a non-stick frying pan and start cooking the streaky bacon in its own juices, until golden
- Clean the non-stick frying pan, and over medium heat, start frying the batter to make these lovely, fluffy pancakes. If your pan is good, you don’t need to put oil or butter.
- Allow around 2 minutes on one side, flip with a spatula and wait another 1 minute. Lower the heat if you notice that the pancake colour is darker than golden.
With this recipe I make 9 pancakes of roughly 15 minutes in diameter. Serve with crispy bacon and butter, or anything else you might fancy for your breakfast!
And, if you don’t feel like making them yourself, look for some destinations that serve pancakes for breakfast.