The below is one of my favourite dessert recipes which are quite traditional in Malta during Christmas times. However, I have made this randomly during the year too; Because I am cool like that.
I will share with you my version of this recipe, let me know your thoughts, and do send me any modification you make to recipe, so I can try them out myself, too!
Maltese Christmas Log
(This will make 1 huge log or 2 smaller ones of around 25cm each as in my photo)
- 2 Packets of plain biscuits (I use Morning Coffee, but Digestive is good too)
- 1 large tin Condensed milk
- 150g nuts and almonds (ex hazelnuts)
- 70g a mix of Glace cherries and candied peel
- 50 g chocolate drops (I use milk chocolate or white chocolate)
- 3 table spoons of cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 bar of chocolate (I use Crunchie – this is optional)
- 100g Chocolate Bar (I use the darkest I can find)
- Any cake decorations you might have
- Some Whiskey
– Crush the biscuits
– Roast the nuts unless you bought pre-roasted ones. Chop the nuts into small pieces.
– Chop the Crunchy or any other chocolate of your choice (optional)
– Mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl, apart from the chocolate bar.
– Prepare a grease-proof paper on a dish or plate.
– Shape the mixture to form a log and place it on the paper.
– Put into the fridge and leave it for 12-24 hours to harden.
– Remove the log shaped mixture from paper.
– The final step is to melt the chocolate bar in a bowl over boiling water and then cover the Christmas log with it.
– Feel free to add decorations to the log, such as the snowflakes I used if this is going to be served during Christmas time.